It was really a pleasure to attend, perform and present at the 2011 Theatrical Bellydance Conference. The main event was a 4-day marathon of classes, panels, talks, and stellar performances from 10am-11pm daily! I’ll admit I’m feeling a little separation anxiety after all that quality dance time, but I’m also feeling totally refreshed and inspired by everything I learned and by the incredible (no seriously, INCREDIBLE) people I met at this conference. A big thank you to co-directors Ranya Renee and Anasma, as well as their team, for a wonderful experience.
In lieu of a detailed recap, I pulled some of my favorite workshop notes and pictures from the conference. Hopefully there will be lots more photos up on the official conference site soon. Enjoy! (and share yours if you have them)
Selected workshop notes
- be a peach
- no struggle!
- belly dance is 20 moves + your essence
- a pose is the punctuation for your movement
- feel energy, don’t just move planes through space
- be simple
- come out like a slingshot
- the veil will ALWAYS upstage you
- you have the power to change the mood of the audience
- stack your body
- follow through from top to bottom in whatever you do